Saturday, May 13, 2006

POSEIDON 93

Call it, “When Worlds Collide.”

Doug E went to see those great disaster movies of the 1970’s.



Years later Doug E loses a friend on United Flight 93.



Then Doug E goes to see “United 93”, the disaster movie based the tragedy wherein his friend is a character.



It was no “Airport” I learned in a telephone call. “Go see it yourself and tell me what you think. It was kind of boring. Everybody was on their cell phones. My friend kept being shown shaking in his seat. That would never have happened. I couldn’t follow the story. And I knew the story.”

“Is that because there were no stars?”

“Maybe. If George Kennedy – is George Kennedy is still alive? – played the man in charge of the air traffic control station…”

“And Muhamad Ata was portrayed by Omar Sharif.”

“Yeah, was Muhamad Ata on Flight 93?" “No, but this is a movie.”

“And if the pilot was having an affair with a flight attendant. And there was some good theme music.”

“I never knew where anything was. It could have used location titles typing up on screen tat-tat-tat-tat-tat.”

Doug E was the only person outside of NYC about whom I was worried on September 11th. He traveled a lot for work and for the Army Reserve. He was often stationed at the Pentagon. He was at a conference in New Hampshire on that beautiful autumn day he lost a friend in a field in Pennsylvania. (Not just out of respect but because these things can be searched, I’m will not publish the name of Doug E’s friend who was killed on September 11, 2001. I will remind you that as yet, no one has been brought to justice for that crime.)

All this begs the question, what’s it all about that “The DaVinci Code” gets released on Doug E’s birthday, but the remake of “The Poseidon Adventure” comes out one week before?



All this talk about disaster movies, classic and Vlasic, made me nostalgic for a time when I was a wrote, directed and produced them. Here are some stills from the rarely seen “Fall Of Troy”, an adaptation of “The Aeneid” (!) which we made for Latin IV class in 1981.




Click on the filmstrip below to view the destruction more closely.



Here they are! Scans of my unfinished “Atlantis 2: Sea City” (1980). Click to enlarge.



It was a total rip-off of Irwin Allen’s TV movie called, gee whiz, “City Beneath the Sea.”





I’m warning you, I’m coming back and bringing the brimstone with me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For another good performance check out
Al Gore on SNL -could be his "hat in the ring" now that Hil has alienated the young vote by calling them lazy.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeing as I was still riding a bike (banana seat, ape hangers) in the 1970s, Stagflation hadn't really put the fear of god in me, unlike the disaster flicks, "Earthquake" and "The Towering Inferno" ... when that many stars are involved you know you better pay attention.

-- Nellie P.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1)My particular Sears Spyder banana seat/ape hanger combo caused me some personal disasters-
the totemic STP daisy sticker plastered on that golden sucker failed to protect me- but at least I didn't drown, burn or
shake to death on the durn thing...
2) If there was a nun on 93,
a pilot full of rum on 93,
a pregnant stew on 93,
a stereotype jew on 93,
then we'd have some fun on 93,
a rippin' disaster movie.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A WOP BOP A BACCIAGALUPOP:
"I WAS-A WROTE..."
-You just-a can't help-a yourself.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home